If you were unable to make it to last night’s webinar with Jay at Wealthy Affiliate, don’t worry…I got your back 🙂
Yesterday’s live training webinar was a really insightful one and I found all of the information Jay gave to be extremely helpful, even to my own websites.
In case you missed the webinar here is a recap of everything we learned:
Basic SEO Terms
SEO-Search Engine Optimization. Use to enhance your site to see in search engines.
SEM-search engine marketing. This you do to market site in search engines.
PPC-Pay Per Click. Putting up an add in search engines and you bid on keywords to be listed on top of search engine.
CPC-Cost Per Click
SERP-search engine result page
Meta Title-article title for the search engines (post or page titles). Shows up in the SERPS
Meta Description-article description for the search engines. Shows up in the SERPS
CTA-Call to action, what you want traffic to do. SUPER IMPORTANT
Internal Link-link to another page that is already on your site.
Ex: contact page to about me page
External Link-link to another page that is off of your site
Ex. URL A to URL B or your site to affiliate product
Anchor Text-words used to link to something, internal link or external link
Ex: Click Here
Conversion-a target goal
Ex: sale or lead
Advanced SEO Terms
404 Error-when something, link traffic, link or a person tries to access a URL on your site but it is not there. This tells Google that the URL doesn’t exist anymore
301 Redirect-when you take an old URL or 404 and redirect it to a new one. This can be done via code or plugins.
Canonical Tag-tells Google what the REAL url of the page is
Ex: for comments: yoursite.com/thispage?comments.
This help to prevent URL duplication in search engines.
Deep Links-a link to an internal page within your site
Ex: link to yoursite.com/blog/thisisanoldpost instead of yoursite.com
Can give your site a little juice. Should be working on this slowly by adding quality backlinks deep in your site content.
LSI-latent semantic indexing or related keyword to your initial keyword.
Ex: let’s say your post is based on growing tomatoes, you will also rank for “how to grow tomatoes” because it is in your content. LSI’s are based off of your content. Can see in Google Webmaster tools
On Page SEO-the stuff you do ON your site to get it ranking
Ex: content creation, meta title and meta description, alt tags on your images
Off Page SEO-the stuff you do OFF your site to get it ranking
Ex: posting on social media, commenting on other sites
Bounce Rate-the percentage of people who enter and leave a page on your site. A person lands on page A from search and then leaves page A
To Lower Bounce Rate: Place your CTA in a noticeable area and make it effective.
Can be positive or negative depending on what the visitors does after leaving your site i.e. going to your product page to buy it.
Exit Rate-the percentage of people who leave a page on your site, but have navigated from other pages
Structured Data-i.e. microdata and it is additional code to enhance your pages for the SERP’s.
Ex: rating stars in SERPS
Fetch As Google-see how Google renders pages from your website, good for new pages or posts
Best Practices for SEO
This is a section that you will want to follow to the T every single time you upload a new blog post or page to your website. It will help to get your page ranked for your keyword faster and help to make your site stand out above the competition!
1. Research Targeted Keyword
- Determine if you can rank for the keyword
2. Research the SERP competition for Targeted Keyword
- The first 10 positions of the first page for the SERP’s of that keyword
3. Check to see how strong the competition is for that keyword
4. Write Content with Targeted Keyword in Mind
- Remember, target your keyword at least 3 times in your content: once in the title, once in the intro and once in the conclusion
5. Customize the Meta Title and Meta Description
- Ex: Don’t buy this product until you read my review here!
6. Obtain Images and Place Within the content
- With your images to give it an extra SEO boost, use your keyword as the image ALT tag.
7. Place Internal Links to Other Pages and Posts
- Post a link to other reviews throughout your site
8. Test Article with a Small PPC Campaign (Optional)
- To see how well it will convert
9. Share it via Social Media
10. Fetch as Google Inside Google Webmaster Tools
11. Make Video Related To Article and Place on YouTube
There you have it! To watch the webinar in its entirety to have a first hand look at what Jay was teaching WA members last night about SEO, click here.
Did you attend the live training webinar? What did you think of it? Let me know in the comments below!